Thursday 11 August 2016

no point in bettering yourself?

I don't think I've heard about Alan Watts, but a speech of his was brought to my attention today and upon listening to it, my first reaction was to believe his words. However, a hint of disbelief was starting to bloom inside my heart. Follow the link below to listen to it.

How to make Yourself a Better Person


The title itself is very catchy. It is rather worrying, as the matter concerns a question we all ask ourselves. And often, too.

But my opinion is that because he seems so sure of himself, his voice is potent and firm, most people tend to believe him. However, I find it that this bloke is quite selective with the information he gives. He is persuasive, his speech is fluent and very well documented, but selective. I believe that he uses the information to his advantage to make his theory plausible. Because that is what one can do, after all, no? He speaks about faith, christianity and hindu, but he gives his own perspective about them. But I read in a hindu book that one must turn within and love itself before loving anyone else. That one must be a observant first, that one should not hurry to make decisions, one must be present. And so, this is where I tend to stop believing in Mr.Watts's speech. I strongly do not agree with his point of view, I do, however, respect it. To do nothing, is to stop evolution. Evolution starts from chaos, from constant search. I do indeed believe that if one can not do good, than at least one should not do bad. That we should not help those that do not ask it. That we do not know better than others. We know for oneself.

I think that it's important to better yourself (especially if you're a dipshit) but just as important how you do it.

Truth of the matter is that we don't know if his speech holds the Truth. It hold his truth, it could hold mine or yours, it could hold everyone's truth, but not the Universal Truth. As far as we all know, there might not even be a Truth.


And I am afraid that death does not guarantee us that we shall find it after we fall in its peaceful, resting arms.

Belief and Truth are two separate things.

No comments:

Post a Comment